You will never need another recipe for cream biscuits (and these are so easy and quick to make!)



These cream biscuits are pure magic! Marion Cunningham got these from James Beard who you may know of if you are interested in current culinary history. It is such a simple recipe! I used towards the one and a 1/2 cups of cream and it was a little too wet so I added some flour and mixed it in the bowl and it was fine. I didn't knead these at all and I took them apart merely by grabbing a piece of the dough dipping it in butter and putting it on the tray. They looked ugly and misshapen before they were baked in the toaster oven at 425F. I cook them a little longer then the recipe called for by merely seeing if they had browned yet on top. Once there was a good amount of gold on top I took them out and they were perfect! Light, airy, perfectly salted biscuits! 

Note: I put parchment down before I put these biscuits on the tray and in the oven.

Ingredients: 

2 cups flour
1 tbs baking soda
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 to 1 1/2 heavy cream
5 tbs melted butter 

Preheat oven to 425F 

Mix the above dry ingredients together and whip through with a fork to mix and lighten.  Add cream while stirring.  If too dry, add more cream; if too wet, add a bit more flour until it is wet but not on the wet side of sticky.  You can knead these and cut into squares. However, I find that mixing them in the bowl, grabbing a piece, dipping it in the melted butter and putting on the baking sheet, with parchment paper down first, to be ideal.   Put biscuit mounds of batter slightly apart but as they bake, I find that they do not join, even if they puff up to be completely touching.  Try to have the mounds about the same size so that they bake evenly. I took the first one out of the middle of the tray with a fork.

By not kneading and shaping, I find these to be wonderfully light, with the perfect amount of salt to create a craving for more.  Wonderful with soups or, as I made this time, for an accompaniment for a perfect easy delicious beef stroganoff! Full out homemade comfort food! 




When I was still a young undergraduate, I was at my professor's house and his wife made the most amazing biscuits to go with a hearty tomato vegetable soup.  I always dreamed of being able to cook and bake like she did.  When I tasted these biscuits, I realized I finally accomplished that dream! 

A perfect accompaniment to a perfect easy beef stroganoff

Comments

  1. My DH loves biscuits and I make them often. I've never tried using cream though. I wonder how much difference it would make. I must try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G-M: If you try, do let me know, I would love to learn from your experience!

      Delete
  2. Mmm... Somehow I ended up with some extra cream in the fridge I've been wondering how I would use. This recipe sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, I hope you make them and if you do, let me know how they turned out!

      Delete
  3. Oh, my, these do look delectable!! I have a perfect buttermilk biscuit recipe and have never made any other sort, but I might give these a try...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment